3.21.2011

WHB #276: Bubur Ketan Hitam (Black Glutinous Rice Pudding with Coconut Milk)

As a kid I always love bubur ketan hitam, a rice pudding made from black glutinous rice and served with coconut milk. In Bali and Nusa Tenggara islands, this dessert is as known as bubur injin. It is similar with bubur pulut hitam in Malaysia and Singapore. Years ago my mum often cooked it for snacks and it was me who ate it all, mostly. I just loved the combination of the sweet sticky pudding and the salty sauce.

Every bubur ketan hitam recipe I found online is served with coconut milk sauce only. But here in Bandung (as well as some other region) I found a distinctive style: it served together with bubur kacang hijau (a kind of mung bean compote) by the street food vendors. When first tasted the mixture of both eight years ago I was quite amazed, I like them better when served separately.

These bubur ketan hitam vendors are rarely found around my neighborhood. They usually appeared around my campus and even then only certain days—most notably in Friday, coincided with Pasar Salman. So when I craved for it yesterday afternoon, I went to the traditional market nearby and bought some black glutinous rice. Then I made a small batch for myself at home this morning. It was dead simple! Perfect for this week Weekend Herb Blogging #276 which hosted by Cinzia from the Cindystar. (Oh, non può aspettare per questa settimana raccolta!)

Bubur ketan hitam.

Black Glutinous Rice Pudding with Coconut Milk
(Bubur Ketan Hitam)

Ingredients:
  • 1500 ml water
  • 150 g black glutinous rice (rinsed and soaked overnight)
  • 1 pandanus leaves
  • 150 g brown sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
  • 200 ml thin coconut milk
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 pandanus leaves

Preparation method:
  1. Bring water to boil with black glutinous rice and pandanus leaf. Cook until thickened in medium heat. Season with brown sugar and salt, take off heat.
  2. In simmer heat, cook coconut milk with salt and pandanus leaf until boiling.
  3. Serve rice pudding with coconut milk sauce while still warm.
Yield 2-3 serves.

The main ingredient ketan, or glutinous rice, is a type of short-grained rice grown in Asia, that is especially sticky when cooked. It is called 'glutinous' in the sense of being glue-like and not of containing gluten. This rice can be used either milled (bran removed) which is white in color, or unmilled—whereas the bran can give a purple or black color. However, black and purple glutinous rice are different strains from the white. Both are widely used in Southeast and East Asian culinary.

2 comments:

  1. I will have a cup with you, please, because I suppose I could hardly find pandanus leaves and ketan here!
    thanks for participating, WHB#276 recap
    is on line, have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grazie mille, Ci! Vieni qui, ti condividere questo budino di riso :)

    ReplyDelete