At first I have no idea what he's talking about, because I never heard of this food occasion before. But then I looked up on BBC Food and found it filed on Occasions: March 8th, Pancake Day.
It is funny enough that I spent most of my spare time browsing on the site, but never really paid attention to that particular section. And, coincidentally, I made roti jala with tuna salad for today breakfast. I've planned to share it for Weekly Herb Blogging #274, which hosted by Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen, some time this week. But then I reconsidered, why not posting it now? Could it be more perfect than today? Nope. Thanks to Michael for telling me inadvertently.
Roti jala literally translated as net bread, but some people called it as lacy pancake too. It is more savory than common pancakes, because the use of coconut milk. I've known this as a side dish from Aceh, but it also widely found in Malaysian cuisine. In Aceh, roti jala usually served along lamb curry. Since I don't have any curry, nor enough time to cooked it, instead I used leftover tuna and wild rocket dressed with vinagraitte. Surprisingly, they worked very well together.
|Roti jala with tuna salad.|
Roti Jala with Tuna Salad
- 250 g self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or melted butter in the same amount)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin powder
- ½ bird's eye chili (seeded and finely chopped, optional)
- 150 g tuna in oil
- 1 pack of wild rocket
- Mix flour with salt, egg, coconut milk and olive oil (or butter). If you don't have roti jala mold (like me) just put the mixture in a plastic, bind tightly and cut one end.
- Pre-heat pan and put in a little butter until melted. Pour the mixture in circular order to form a net (or anyway you like it). Allow pancake to set on top then flip. Repeat to the rest of the batter.
- Put oil, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, cumin and bird's eye chili in a jar. Add 1 tablespoon oil from tuna, shake well.
- In a large bow, mix tuna and wild rocket. Dress with the vinagraitte.
- Serve roti jala and tuna salad together in a plate.
|Happy Pancake Day (and International Women's Day)!|